Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
thewrongspeed

Scotland 2000 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Epsom Green
Muddybigdog wrote:
Stunning office!!

Cheap and easy way to deal with high salt road grit -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mingle-Pressure-W...2DGRY?th=1

Oooo that is a nice looking bit of kit, although those wheels would struggle on the gravel unfortunately. I do have a single jet chassis adaptor for the jet wash, but nothing as grand as that.

Fortunately we see very little snow and ice here, so gritting isn't something we have to deal with very often. The sea air and the horrendous state of the potholed roads however do their best to destroy everything on them.

The previous owner had the underneath treated with Dinotrol, and I've been topping that up with Lanoguard in an attempt to slow the corrosion as much as I can.
Post #1028761 20th Mar 2024 2:31pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
We have a weed-infested gravel drive, so empathy on knees, elbows and hands crawling around under a vehicle. We ended up buying stable mats to use, kills weeds and saves the aging body from pain Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1028764 20th Mar 2024 2:58pm
L110CDL

England 
thewrongspeed wrote:
L110CDL wrote:
What about digging the entrance ground down a bit to allow the 90 in Wink

Oh it's been considered believe me haha, but stopping the various (and considerable) damp issues in cottage that came along with the outbuilding is taking priority Laughing

Fatbaron wrote:

What a stunning place to work! Bow down

We consider ourselves very lucky to be here... sold our semi in Leeds (and my dream car after 10 years of ownership Big Cry ) and took something of a punt on a move up here. Loads of challenges to overcome in a pretty neglected traditional stone built cottage, but it's a decent view while we stress about it all Rolling with laughter

Glad you had thought of digging down and yes, priority goes to fixing the damp first Thumbs Up

Taking my hat of to you for taking the plunge and moving to such a fab place Bow down the wife and i would love to do that but alas my job wont let me Rolling Eyes

May i ask what your dream car was that you had for 10 years ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1028921 21st Mar 2024 10:06pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
thewrongspeed wrote:

We consider ourselves very lucky to be here... sold our semi in Leeds (and my dream car after 10 years of ownership Big Cry ) and took something of a punt on a move up here. Loads of challenges to overcome in a pretty neglected traditional stone built cottage, but it's a decent view while we stress about it all Rolling with laughter

Bow down Hats off to you! Bow down We did something similar. Packed up and left a lovely modern detached in Coventry for an ancient, damp, long house in rural North Devon 11 years ago and never looked back. Well, we've moved to a less damp house but still in North Devon!

I still fancy something a little less "populated", your location looks amazing!
Post #1028941 22nd Mar 2024 6:03am
thewrongspeed

L110CDL wrote:
May i ask what your dream car was that you had for 10 years ?

This old girl, 1999 M Coupe, which I know wouldn't have lasted well up here, but hell I miss driving that thing.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1028957 22nd Mar 2024 9:41am
L110CDL

England 
^^^^

Thank you for the reply and that great pic, not to many hard top's left, lovely colour Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1029295 25th Mar 2024 9:34pm
thewrongspeed

With MOT due next month, and with a slight pulsing now felt through the pedal on hard braking, I figured it was time to look at renewing the front discs and pads. I've done discs and pads on previous vehicles but never anything like having to remove the wheel hub to do so. I was pretty nervous, especially with having to do it outside and very conscious about the risk of getting crap in to the bearings.

N/S was fairly easy, and I was pleased to find a previous owner had fitted the single nut setup for the wheel bearings - seems like a much simpler process. The brake caliper has seen better days though so it's time to replace those too. While I'd loved to have gone for the stainless piston versions from LOF, unfortunately I can't stretch to those for now, so I'm hoping that the cheaper option aftermarket jobbies will standup ok for a year or two and then look to upgrade them.

O/S however has been a right PITA today, with the top caliper mounting bolt being a bloody nightmare to get out, so slow progress on that side. Much swearing later the caliper is off now and the new disc fitted. The caliper on this side was in far worse state than the other. I'm surprised the brakes worked to the extent they did.

Now I'm just waiting for the calipers to arrive along with +2" braided hoses and new caliper-to-flexi pipes

I'd forgotten how much working on old motors at ground level makes old muscles ache! Laughing
Post #1032596 23rd Apr 2024 8:47pm
L110CDL

England 
Great maintenance being carried out there and the more you do, the more your " old " muscles will get stronger Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1032716 24th Apr 2024 9:03pm
thewrongspeed

Cheers Clayton, despite all the swearing and aching (oh and the fact that the 90 tested my old trolley jack beyond its limits 😆) I'm absolutely loving working on it

Thankfully I'd bought a Sprinter bottle jack a few weeks back
Post #1032722 24th Apr 2024 9:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Couldn't agree more with " loving working on it " Thumbs Up

Yes it's always good to have a back up jack, like yours my old one stopped working, so i went and got 2 new ones Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1032725 24th Apr 2024 9:30pm
thewrongspeed

Well that feels a whole lot better...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully that'll see the front brakes at least OK for the MOT
Post #1033221 29th Apr 2024 9:55am
thewrongspeed

Well that's MOT passed thankfully. No advisories Thumbs Up