↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Second / Dual Battery Installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Second / Dual Battery Installation
This weekend I fitted a 90ah leisure battery for running fridge for camping hols this year.

I took inspiration from the install Landroveranorak did that kept the original battery and cables. This does limit the height of the second battery to the same as original ie 190mm.

After removing the original battery tray I then moved the cable that feeds the under drivers seat fuse box towards the front so it wouldn't be trapped by the second battery. Then made a wooden base using 5mm ply and 34mm battens that bolted through the holes from the original tray. This allowed the starter battery to be moved outwards to allow the second battery in.

I used a kit from simply split charge with a durite VSR. The relay and fuses were mounted on a piece of chopping board so the tricky wiring could be done on the bench and then this was bolted to the rear of the seat box.

The batteries were clamped in using cheap clamps from Halfords with the j bars changed for threaded bar that was bolted through the bottom of the seat box. Fitted a second vent pipe for the new battery.

I already have an aux fuse box under the driver's seat and just moved the connection from the starter battery to the new one.

All relatively easy to do but sometimes fiddly due to space.

Now I just need a new storage place for the bottle jack etc. Does anyone know if the jack can be stored on its side?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1032350 21st Apr 2024 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1