↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Removal of front wheel arch liner..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Removal of front wheel arch liner..
Just a quick question.. Who has done it and how awkward was it..
Just wondering if I've missed something, when the manual gets to the point when all is released and it says remove liner? 🙄😩🤣
Post #1034989 17th May 2024 9:56am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Not done on a Puma, but on earlier Defenders I remove complete with wing. Still need to remove the wheel arch first to access bolts on bulkhead. Its about 15-30mins job. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1034999 17th May 2024 12:29pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
On the offside the arch liner has the side airbox bracket attached, which obviously attaches to the airbox, so the airbox will need to be detached from that bracket, else the six rivets attaching the bracket will need to be drilled and replaced on re installing.
Post #1035004 17th May 2024 1:11pm
andy63

Cheers for your input👍
I have had the liner out on the offside.. A right carry on.... With everything disconnected and the shock and turret removed it rattles around but getting it out at that point if a right chore..
Most probably removing the wing would at least lessen the chance of snapping the liner as its bent to clear the top spring mount..and sort of rotate it to slide it out..
For anyone fitting the Ali sport intake be warned its really tight to get the pipe on the inner wing adapter.. That certainly the case if you have abs and a wing mounted aerial 😩.. A good deal more fiddly than I had reckoned.. In fact not done yet so there may be more🤣
Post #1035011 17th May 2024 1:42pm
andy63

Fitted the air box and again found that the silicone hose that connects the air box to turbo inlet needed trimming right back as the new box has the outlet very close to the turbo inlet..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1035030 17th May 2024 5:58pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
What is that large cable tie on the inlet for? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1035031 17th May 2024 6:09pm
andy63

I'd forgotten about that 😂..
I put it there to hold the air box into its rubber mounts.. It was popping out of the rear one and annoying me when I was checking where I needed to cut hoses to get them to length and generally checking things over..
I did mention the silicone hose on the outlet needed cutting right back and I wanted the box as secure as possible when I was figuring out where to cut it.
Post #1035035 17th May 2024 6:32pm
Zed

Makes sense, you could fit R clips to hold it in place if you’re concerned about it bouncing about.
I can see the silicone hose, presumably the one you cut but it seems to be attached to an alaminium hose adapter and then to another silicone. Could you not do without the adapter and short hose? WARNING.
Post #1035037 17th May 2024 7:04pm
andy63

Sorry I thought I had replied.. Obviously not🙄😂
The hose that I had to cut back was the blue hose on the outlet side that connects to the turbo inlet..
The inlet hose has a piece of black silicone hose to accommodate an alloy reducer to allow the inlet hose from the wing to connect to the air box..
Post #1035042 17th May 2024 9:07pm
Zed

Ah yes, I’ve cut a few of those myself.
That looks like a convoluted way to do it. Why are the hoses and connectors different sizes? Presumably you have their 90mm wing adapter and matching hose, so I don’t understand why they didn’t make it fit the airbox opening. Was that part of the kit or did you put it together yourself? WARNING.
Post #1035048 17th May 2024 9:28pm
andy63

It's the way the kit came and I wondered why they didn't make the inlet pipe on the air box the same size to fit directly to the hose from the wing..
They did say something on the phone after I ordered it and I was enquiring about progress, that they were modifying the sizes of the pipe, but it didn't mean much to me and they didn't explain why they were making the mod..
I believe they do two different air boxes.. One a top entry, and then the low or standard entry like mine.. Maybe the plastic trunking into the standard plastic air box is larger than the 90mm hose and my alloy air box can be used with the standard plastic trunking but with the adapter it allows their hose from the wing adapter to be used.. If you follow me🤔🤣
Post #1035051 17th May 2024 9:51pm
Zed

Yes there must be a reason. Mine is just a simple 90mm that routes under the wing to the vent but that wouldn’t work with standard ducting or airbox. Anyway, most importantly how are you finding it compared to the original? WARNING.
Post #1035052 17th May 2024 10:00pm
andy63

I've not driven it yet.. Still got the shock and turret to fit .. And I have the vacuum tank of the red boost to Re fit.. The only thing I've noticed when the engine was running is there is a slightly deeper noise from the raised air intake..
I have one of those centrifugal air pre cleaners to fit to the snorkel top at some point..
I think it was reading a post by blackwolf that made me think I would give one a try..
I will get back after I've driven it a bit.. And I have some scope traces of the maf as it was.. I'll chevk to see if there is any difference in the traces now with the new system..
Are you happy with yours.. What's your thoughts?
Post #1035054 17th May 2024 10:28pm
Zed

Very happy with mine. I think performance is the same as my Nuggetstuff but it sounds different. Not better or worse just different.The intake growl of the Allisport is perhaps slightly deeper but the Nugget had a much louder “peeeew” when changing gear. 🤣Honestly both are great and a big improvement over a standard airbox, even when modified. They both make the engine rev more freely and if you put your hand over the vent while reving it will stick to it! Sucks up a few flying insects too so check your filter more regularly than you normally would. Others have complained of wet filters but I’ve never had that with either. My Allisport now uses an ITG filter but I didn’t notice any difference from the paper one. WARNING.
Post #1035058 17th May 2024 11:19pm
andy63

Cheers @Zed that all sounds good.. I'll get back after I've had time to form any thoughts👍
I do have a foam ITG filter to fit as well👍
Post #1035066 18th May 2024 7:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>